Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Crusade No. 16: Journal Your Blog

Yah, I'm jumpin' on that bandwagon - 'cuz it's a cool and fun looking bandwagon! Michelle Ward has a great blog and a monthly crusade to improve and add interest to one's blog. This month her crusade was to Journal Your Blog. That means, print out a blog entry, and make a layout in your visual journal. I have been working in my visual journal more and more, and I wanted to do a layout of my "It's a Good Day" poem from the last post.


I love the colors of the layout and the red butterflies. I just printed the poem from the blog, glued it to the page, which I gessoed first. On the right side, I added a page from a math book with lots of cool calculus equations, painted with acrylic paints, wrote words with a sharpie and then did the butterflies and red flower. I stuck the sticker on first, then used the space left from the sticker as a stencil to create the negative images of the butterflies. The big flower, I'm not so crazy about, but, whatever. Finally, I added the metal mesh to the bottom of the page. It's waiting there to capture the butterflies.

As I am soooo busy right now with the cards (will finally be done shipping orders tomorrow), I gave my self a whopping 20 minutes to work on this layout. You better believe I was painting with one hand and using the heat gun to dry with the other!

11 comments:

michelle ward said...

Tally - you've been a busy girl! (Congrats on being at the gift show!!) Thanks for taking the time to join in our Crusade. Love how you took what you shared on your blog and made it into a lovely journal spread. Terrific!! Glad to have you on the Street Team!

eb said...

love how you described your process - the butterfly stencils and the mesh is a cool idea - way to go!!!!!!

xox - eb.

Jodi Peary said...

Beautiful journal page; I will check back to see your collection of cards. Thanks for sharing your work process and your art.
jodi

peggy gatto said...

Great idea and a good way to do both blogging and journaling each day!
Now, when do I begin!

Loudlife said...

I love reading what you did to achieve your pages! (Love the stenciling idea, too) I think your subconcious mind knows what it's doing; the flower is a great balancing element for the butterflies and ties the green in to the whole scenario.

Thanks for sharing!
Laurie

forcryeye said...

I love the colors! I have got to find my old bottle of gesso, it makes such a lovely palate to paint on. I want a room in that blue color you chose!

Penny Rabbit said...

Too Cool pages! Love the colors and especially the sharpie writing!

JBMolina said...

yeep! I'm totally joining this crusade! This is so much fun!

JBMolina said...

rats... I'm too late to join the crusade but I love the idea so I'm still doin' it!

Anonymous said...

Lovely post, thanks for joining us! It's amazing what we can accomplish in a hurry, isn't it?!? It's a great group of "friends", welcome to the Street Team! All my best, K.

Heather, paperfollies.typepad.com said...

Love that you were able to do your entry in such a snippit of time...that encourages me to try to work more quickly, with less judgement and planning and more intuition, as your page turned out beautifully!
Hugs,
Heather
http://paperfollies.typepad.com