Friday, December 7, 2007

Hot Punch!

Mmmmmm. It all starts on Thanksgiving, and doesn't end 'til after New Years - the demand in the household for hot punch. Now, don't go thinking that we have this everyday, 'cuz that would be way to fattening! But this non-alcoholic punch (ok, that's easy to fix too - just add rum) is so perfect for parties and family get togethers.


Hey - not everything in this blog has to be all esoteric yah know...


This hot punch recipe is also special to me because every time I make it, it reminds me of my late mother-in-law. I keep her handwritten recipe in my book, and as I make it, I think about how proud she would be that everyone looks forward to it on Thanksgiving (more punch is consumed than wine, yah, it's that good). I sort of think of her spirit being with us through the punch. Wow, that sounds really weird. But, I'm going with it.


So here it is. You get her handwritten version too.



Just in case you can't read it:

Fran's Hot Punch (Makes 25 1/2 cup servings)

1 1/2 Quarts Cranberry Juice (48oz jug)

2 Quarts Apple Cider or Juice (64oz jug)

1/2 cup brown sugar

4 3inch cinnamon sticks

1 1/2 tsp whole cloves

Bring mixture to boil, then simmer for 15 minutes. I like to serve it in my crockpot, which keeps it hot for the whole party.

I like to make it a day ahead, and it's even better. For Thanksgiving I made at least three times this recipe and it's all gone at the end of the night! What's really cool about this recipe, is that the juices are sold in those quantities, so no annoying left overs.

I hope you'll try it, and that you will make it a part of your holiday traditions too.

1 comment:

Lisa MB said...

Okay, now we need a blog post about Jews doing Christmas songs. What's up with that? Josh Groban apparently has something out now. Kenny G has *multiple* Christmas albums. Neil Diamond -- now there's a serial offender.

I think they should try some klezmer music, just to see if more Christians than Jews buy it.